Sunday, November 11, 2007

Peppers, pickled and not.

I am feeling better.

I had some work to do. Work is good, it gives me a sense of purpose. Wasn't sure I could arise form the funk to do it, but needed to. I decided to just begin, nibble away at it and see what happened. I did some research, sent it to the print que, didn't bother to go down and plug it in. Someone needs to send me one of those wifi printers to test like the vibrators they send to sex-bloggers...

Anyway, Dee wanted to shop. We have no money but I did see last week some brand new size 11 Doc Martin's I want to get for my brother-in-law to say thanks for letting me crash at his place when I was laying low from Roscoe and Cletus awaiting my job interview. Saturdays is often 50% of day so we had planned to go back and nab them. We were too late :(

I wasn't feeling like spending any money, but I had fun. I tried on two dresses that will be $1 next Thursday according to their tag color they were 1/2 of of $14.99 and $24.99 respectively today. I had worn pantyhose under my jeans and tucked so it made the changing room mirror slightly less ridiculous. Still the fits weren't optimal,but one had a cute gathered hemline which was brief enough to be interesting. I found a pair of men styled loafers but with pointy toes and 3" slightly thick heels. I put them on and clomped across the entire store, keeping a rack of clothes between me and the other patrons to show Dee. She smiled not so much at the shoes but my obvious ploy for attention and the risky outing myself behavior. I found them comfortable, and should have bought them for $5 but I put them back. Later at home Dee tells me that an older lady definitely did notice my antics and was mouth agape over it. She was probably just in wonderment at how well they went with my black boot cut Calvin Klein stretch jeans.

Almost bought some Donny Osmond style purple socks, but Dee wasn't as turned on by them as I expected so I put them back.

We ran into an old friend in the parking lot. Reading between the lines of his use of we and us,we figured out he and his wife had overcome the divorce and apparently were back together..hope springs eternal. He knows of my diving habits. In fact he is the very friend who once loaned me his copy of Hoffman's "The Art and Science of Dumpster Diving" which turned me hard-core militant about the sport. I told him about the 36 dove-for plastic pumpkins I was planning on donating to Goodwill for the tax write-off and the 20% off on your next purchase of $10 or more.

Next stop: we went to the house to be auctioned that a client had asked me to render an opinion about, I gathered some details and then off to the next Goodwill.

Here I found 4 Corelle bowls and an A&W Root Bear mug, one trip to the freezer away from being frosty.

I came home, took a nap...had to get up for a charitable assignment I understood to involve setting up or possibly taking down chairs. Turns out it was moving 40' long solid oak church pews that had been removed temporarily to make way for an orchestra. Much heavier than folding chairs as it turned out. My new 132 lb frame made it more obvious that I wasn't holding up my end so to speak and some more burly types stepped in cheerfully and without shame to assist. Good bunch of guys.

This for reasons that escape me had to be done at 9:30 pm. My night-owl 12 year old daughter wanted to go with. Afterwards, we did a little subsistence diving consisting of some 6" across tomatoes, some apples on steroids, so Lilliputian potatoes, some sweet potatoes some bread stuffs and a 1/2 peck of un-pickled peppers.

After sorting,cleaning and discarding, we had a couple of fruit boxes that needed to go back to a dumpster so as not to load up our home receptacles. I was going to dump them at the church, but when the 12 year old jumped in the van primed for adventure, I decided to take her for some recreational diving. Interestingly, the very first apartment complex dumpster we hit had a box of girly stuff in it that she liked and topically a bottle of pickled cucumbers, sans the juice. Squealing with delight she divided the booty more or less fairly in piles of things for the less girly 10 year old and the 8 year old boy. We got a industrial quality mop bucket with wringer I actually did want that, the grocery store version we have is shite. We got 4 pairs of heels in Dee's size. Included in the bounty were bracelets, necklaces and a piggy bank with two gold coin chocolates and an actual US 50 cent piece. Theres a Fiddy cent I can appreciate. In one dumpster I say an actual gallon jar of pickled peppers. Pepperoncinis to be precise.

All in all a productive day that might as likely ended with me typing how I hadn't gotten out of bed at all.

No comments: