Friday, November 2, 2007

Losing ROscoe and CLetus..

Cliff notes:

Job interview 225ish miles away. Light car, heavy foot high revving car. Couple of over matched SUV's with flashing lights in the visors, Lots of adrenaline, no citation.

Version I posted about it..

I would have made the 4 hour leg of the trip in 2.5 hours, but it took me 10 minutes to lose Rosco and Cletus in their Highway Patrol SUV's and then for good measure I went the speed limit for the last 30 miles in case they were running a tascan. (stop watch test, they sometimes radio ahead.) I passed them going 105.

In the 30 seconds it took them to get on the black-top and underway, I had cranked it up a bit more and was nearly a mile ahead. First major defilade, I killed the lights slammed on the four wheel discs until I got it slowed to something the e-brake could handle, and finished the decel, I wheeled it around facing the cops, who were just then cresting the rise.

I thought I was too slow, but with nothing else to do, I hit the lights, hoping from their vantage point it would look like lights appearing from a gully, I gunned it, the went by me at over 100 I was doing a leisurely 70. With a closing rate of 170+ they didn't get much of a look at my car. I was so sure they would catch on two bends in the road later and come back after me. So, nervously I reversed yet again and followed them. To my relief, there was a Y and come to find out both cars went left. My destination was to keep to the right.

I saw only two semi's the whole next 30-40 miles to the state border. I took the road less traveled and that made all the difference.

Today on the way home I was scrupulously within the speed limit, but got pulled over anyway. Heart in the throat, I do think they were checking out anything low and fast his reasoning was a burned out brake light bulb...gave me a repair order and sent me on my way, but the stop was a lot longer than that sort of thing usually is..

I think that was my one and only get of jail free pass for the entire southeast quadrant of the state.

No comments: