Friday, October 19, 2007

A suit as English as Fish and Chips...

Dollar Thursday at Goodwill again today. All pink tags $1 all orange 1/2 off. I got 2 evening gowns, 4 skirts, 5 pairs of heels, a top and several swimsuits all for $1. Orange will be $1 next Thursday. Often I will make mental notes about what to get next week.

I ran across a $14.99 orange tag that couldn't wait for a week. It was an all wool 2 button suit in a delicate herringbone. It was tailor made of English cloth in Hong Kong when it was proudly still a British Protectorate. It was made in a shop at a Hotel. Back then, businessmen with far east stop-overs or business in Hong Kong would have suits handmade to measure in 3 days or so that easily rivaled Saville Row or New York City $1000 suits for quality. This seemed to be one of those. I have lost weight to the point that like in my younger days I can;t buy off the rack anymore. This suit I estimate was made for a 35 short. I think I am somewhere about there maybe a 34 regular. The jacket hangs off my bony frame well. The trousers are probably 33-34 in the waist which would have fit me 30 pounds ago. I'm going to have to have the seat and waist tucked in 2-3 inches.

On the way home I was joking that I need to add some weight back on to fill out that suit, and passed a fast food place. I think I have eaten fried food maybe twice in the last 3 months while rigorously dieting. Dee laughed when she pointed out that Pirates Fish and Chips adorned with the Union Jack seemed especially appropriate.

This was my previous "English" sport coat. It was $1 and made in America, probably in the late 70's from wool woven in and imported from the UK. I was really happy to find it at the time. It pales by comparison to the new suit.

No comments: