Sunday, August 26, 2007

Wigging out...



Ok, I don't even know where to start.

We had a day out in the sun taking pictures. I put the wig in a dove for Samsonite make-up case and wiped off the make-up before coming home to the older kids. The kids had seen the wig in the closet before, and been told to leave it alone.

Today they were exploring and found the wig in the make-up . They knew that I had found the case out diving some night and somehow got it in their head that they had "found" a new play-toy and were in process of playing dress-up with it.

We retrieved it, Dee dodged questions about whose wig and why we have it. The smart answer would have been it's Dee's and its for fun or when she doesn't feel like styling her hair.

The kids suddenly said nearly in unison, "Put it on Dad!!!" Dee looks at me for ascent which I give. I play dumb and put it on backwards. Our least femme child points out how it should be put on. I turn it around, and Dee reaches for the camera. Always on the look-out for a family photo. "OK kids pose with Dad...."

The kids HOWLED wit laughter. Then the 8 year old (boy) says, "Me next! Me next!". Dee said NOOOO...go on now, shooing them out. We talked and (as I thought) her objection was they were ruining my wig not of course the fact that the boy wanted to try on a wig. I told her I had no objection and didn't want him to feel like we were saying no on the basis of being a boy. We called him back in and he just BEAMED when Dee placed the wig on his little round head. He rushed to the mirror and said I look just like __________ (the 10 year old who is currently opposed to all things femme.)

What about a dress? He pressed further. Dee and I were Dying laughing inside exchanging knowing glances and wide open mouth gestures when his back was turned. First he wanted the peach jacketed dress Dee wore to church. She explained it was too large for him, so glancing around the closet he ZEROED in on a butter cream jacketed dress that Dee and I got for me at the very same time that we got the peach one for her. We steered him away from the only dress that would fit a little black cocktail dress of mine.

As an aside if you aren't a regular reader here, I also like dumpster diving. I recently had several boxes and bags of clothes, we donate the ones that no one can or will wear. We had some really frilly things that out 10 year old girl won't consider in the to be donated box. Dee grabbed that. I expected that it be a little much for him,. He couldn't wait and pulled it on. He wanted shoes Dee suggested a conservative pair. He wanted my clear 6" stripper heels.

Dee asked him how he felt in the dress. He said, "MMMOMMMM, I wear dresses ALL the time!" Shocked, but trying to hide it we casually asked, um, when is it that you have before. He explained that they didn't have a wig, but that he used to play dress-up with his sisters all the time from the costume box. We had forgotten about that but he hadn't. It has been at least 2-3 years since his sister had any interest in playing dress up with him but both his sisters from when he was 4 or so and they were 6 and 8 used to let him play with them. He even asked for and got his own Crissy doll.

I was moved at seeing his exuberance at being able to dress-up. I don't really think this is a truly transgendered issue, but him being able to have fun with it meant a lot to me with my horrific experience at 3 or 4 trying the same thing. Dee had a glint of tears in her eyes as she saw his big smile and pointed out that that could have been my joy if I had been allowed to express myself.

The 12 year-old wanted to get dressed up before she tried it on and now wants her own wig. The 10 year-old wanted to try it on and practice some Dave Grohl inspired head banging moves, but was VERY upset at the 8 year old saying he is her long lost twin (they are the same size roughly) because as she pointed out she would NEVER wear a prissy dress like that!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your kids look sooo happy. :)