Sunday, August 26, 2007

How to get from A to B fast with heels.

Carry them!
Last week I was thinking gender bending in my clothing choices. I wore women's dockers to church (I know weak) but I did pair them with women's loafers in a glove leather. While putting that together at a series of thrift stores, I came across the perfect en femme 'Sunday shoes'. Mind you I would NEVER wear them to church, but its a giggle to think about it. They are spectator pumps I came to know after the fact. (Thanks, Stephanie). Black toe, black heel with wide ankle strap, cut-away instep and white band above the toe with a punched hole detail like on wingtips.

4" heel but a little wider heel than I like, but I found I cant even walk in actual stilettos yet. I have spent a lifetime noticing women's shoes and watching them move in them. Turns out that doesn't help with actually wearing them.

So a few days ago I strapped on the spectator pumps. Next I wriggled into my black leather skirt, briefly arguing with Dee that yes, I know the tag goes in the back but there's only one slit and that wouldn't put the slit in either the front or the back. She explained that on short skirts the single slit over the leg is better at making it walkable than a slit in the middle which actually doesn't help. I slipped on a cute "dove for" stretch top that I nabbed out of the bag before my 12 year-old clothes horse. Finally, I hopped on the treadmill for practice.

I found that anything over 1.3 mph and my gait gets really awkward.

"So," I ask Dee,"how does your gait change in heels when you have to move quickly in heels? What do you do differently when you have to move fast?"

Simple she says..you take them off.

For the record I managed 4 mph without breaking an ankle or (worse) a heel.

I didn't maintain that pace of course. I worked on my deportment for a while.

I haven't yet walked a mile in a GG's shoes, but I did manage a 1/2 mile. Most surprising thing was how little ones calves have to do with walking in heels, Ironic because calves look so nice and athletic in heels.

When we did the photos yesterday, I brought the spectators also even though Dee frowned on the pairing with the dress. The shoes in the pictures I like,but I once tried to walk 1/2 a block to the mailbox and came home crippled. I found this time after the treadmill practice and wearing thicker hose, they were tolerable, and more importantly, cute.

I started walking down the slope with the thin heels spiking into the soft, wet ground and with a grin followed Dee's advice and took them off. I asked Dee to get a shot of me heels in hand to prove that I indeed can learn.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm not good with heels myself (as I'm pretty tall without heels) ... but I've heard they get easier as time goes on. Perhaps you should have worked your way up to 4" though.