Monday, August 20, 2007

A-thrifting we will go

Saturday, I mentioned to Dee that I really need new Sunday-go-to-meetin' pants and suggested we hit a thrift store. I don't really think either of us really thought that was my primary reason for wanting to go. The baby was in need of a nap, and she suggested there was no reason I couldnt go myself. I pointed out that the problem was I wouldn't be by myself, Barbara the shopaholic would no doubt follow me down the aisles. "Good point," she said and grabed the baby and her purse.

At The Salvation Army, I reluctantly passed the women's tops, skirts, slacks, and clear at the back to the men's pants. That whole store has pretty good prices but not the best organization. They just throw the clothes on the racks in broad categories without regard to size. Ive found better organized loads of clothes in dumpsters!

I was getting frustrated, then settled on a tactic. I would look for fabrics that I liked then quickly eyeball it for size. If it was obviously too big, I'd move on o the next, if it seems close I'd pull it off the rack and dig for a label. This didn't work that well because I guess I just don;t have a very good eye for size. Finally I found a tan pair of Khaki's that looked like a pair I already have with frayed cuffs. I checked the label, size 10! Misfiled. Leave it to Barb to find the chick slacks in the haystack. Next pair was a navy pair of dockers, Size 10!. Amused, I pulled it off the hanger and held it up to my ever-shrinking waistline...it looked about right. I was wearing a long pair of tan, side zip womens shorts in size 12 that I had to wriggle into. The size 12 was roomy for my non-existant hips and snug in the waist.

I think I have mentioned that since the incident of the girl jeans at age 14, I haven't tried anything on. Now it is a fun bit of naughtyness to slip into a dressing room in a store and slither into a skirt or slacks or to slip a dress over my head. Off to the dressing room I go. I put them on and not only do they fit in the waist the inseam fits. I think basically Dockers has a big pile of 32x30 pants and they slap a size 10 label in some and a 32x30 label in others. Other than maybe an extra inch in the hips they hang no differently than menswear. Only the next day when I tried to put keys in my pocket did I detect any difference.

BTW whats up with girl pockets. I get it that chicks don't keep rubber bands, loose change, frogs and the like in their pockets, but why have 'em at all if you are going to short-sheet them?

Dee was in charge of keeping Barbara muffled in her purse where she also had my wallet (NO pockets in the tan chick shorts I was wearing). I rejoined her only to find that she had located a red, polo style, shirt-dress in a flirty length for me, and a peach colored Liz Claiborne top that Barbara assumed was for her but upon inquiring found that Dee had planned it for herself.

It was 1/2 off day and there was a NICE art deco buffet that we have no room for so we passed on a $35 bargain. While Dee waited in line, I walked the baby. I snuck over to womens skirts to fondle some pleats. I royal blue Adidas tennis skirt caught my eye. I thought initially it was an actual cheerleader uniform. It was very well made, and size 10! Confidant (pre-maturely) that I had dieted down to a 10, I grabbed it and handed it without comment to Dee who was in the middle of a very long line. She gave me a tolerant smile but didn't quite suppress the eye roll.

~place holder for the rest of the shopping day~
Flat dress loafers at Goodwill maple dresser for $19 Wing-tip heels
Dress at DI and Schoolgirl plaid for Dee
Sunday peach dress for Dee.

WalMart Fundies for Dee.

2 comments:

Dee Talbot said...

it was a good shopping day, wasn't it? In spite of the ovenlike heat and our utter exhaustion afterward. Splurging on the Chinese food afterward was nice too ;)

Barbara_Talbot said...

mmmm and mushu pork reheated well.

Even if that place is obviously a front for either money-laundering or bookmaking, they have a really good chef.

We should try fat Tony's for Italian sometime.