Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Who invented women's sizes?

Wanted to express the thought here but to much work to retype and reformat the whole thought So I added a bit more rant and plopped it here, If you have an interest in things CD beyond just gazing with admiration at my lovely legs, I highly recommend a visit there.

"Ive got a shopping problem..


I barely posted here about my online purchase when I was off to Walmart for a small item and came home with lipstick, lip liner. cheap 80's body spray that hit me nostalgically, a $2 anklet and a two pack of satin panties that are high cut on the leg.

Came home, got further instruction from GG on the idiocy (male side speaking here) of womans sizes. I am a 14 starving down to a 12 I had a size 6 VS pair on today that was snug, my size 8 I bought by eyeball before I even knew anything about sizes seemed close but since they were nylon I thought maybe I should go up in size. GG had explained that odd sizes are juniors and usually hipper styles and cuts. These pantie packs seemed to also have helpfully provided waist sizes. I am a 33 but soon maybe 32 so I saw 13 with 30-32 and figured perfect! its in between my skirt sizes and maybe a little snug in the waist..


BIG GG laughs as she explained that a size 13 probably could be shared by us both, AT THE SAME TIME! It didn't help that these were prepackaged in a box with a window. I get that now. A larger gal probably doesn't want her drawers waved about like a flag at the register. PS, the lovely gal on the cover is a bit closer to a 4 than a 13.

Women are the consumers of womens clothes primarily..DO they LIKE this nonsense?? Tape measures were invented to tell you how big something is, it was not invented so you could gather random raw data, then whip out a fashion decoder slide rule and triangulate the hypotenuse of the left integral to determine whether your a small gal, a medium sized gal or a larger gal.. SO's Dreaded Sweats are making a hell of a lot of sense to me now. ~irritated~

NO wonder the cashier didn't seem to wonder about a dude in 2 days beard and a bald head was buying panties. I'm guessing she could tell at a glance they 'twernt for the pirate. On the other hand she didn't seem to pass judgment on the roll of hot pink duct tape either, ~shrug~

I propose the following sizing guide as it will work in the US, the UK, Japan and Greenland. Measure yourself. If your hips are thus and your waist is such, you are a blue. If instead your hips are yay wide and your waist a little less, you are a giraffe. If your hips are yay wide and your hips a little more you can see you would be considered quartz plus."

4 comments:

Pretty Sissy Dani said...

Hi! Love your blog--keep it up!

I've linked to your blog on mine--entransed.blogspot.com--and would love it if you could return the favor!

Barbara_Talbot said...

thank you!~blush~

I'd definitely recommend your blog I am a new blogger, let me figure out how to link and its done!

I really loved that you can actually watch the very thing (the cartoon) that ignited the tender spark of your soft girly side. I am re-thinking my genesis story which seems painful and full of shame. It seems like I am trying to pigeonhole myself as one who loves to play a girl because it is a backlash against the repressive over-reaction to my 4 year old CD experiance. Dee has been holding my hand and bending her ear for aweekas I retrace my few steps I made over many years in imaginary heels so to speak. I learned just today I think that the desire was there even though it was fun. Dressing as my beloved big sister to tease her seems incongruent. I have a fleeting memory of the moment I looked in themirror, lifted the hem and decided that jockeys wouldnt do! I CHOSE the soft panties with the missing support. I chose the smooth front that mimicked my understanding of girls being cleaner and simply devoid of boy parts. (from Barbie of Sis's - no relation to the origin of my current name, I think)

Pretty Sissy Dani said...

Barbara:

Thanks for the link and the kind words.

I've found over the past 30 years that every TV/CD has a story...some elements of each story are similar (early interest in feminine clothes seems to be quite common)...others are very different (my own tying of CD is, while not unique to me, less common than most).

The important thing, to me, is that we as a group recognize our commonality and not let the differences divide us. I'm not turned off by "girls" who want to "go all the way" to sexual re-assignment and I hope they're not offended that I'm quite happy with my original equipment, as an example.

I look forward to reading more of your own history and your continuing development.

Jessica Olin said...

Sweetie, the thing with sizes is that not even in the same kind of garment by the same designer does the same number mean anything. I have a winter coat that is a size 12 that fits me like a dream, and a shirt by the same manufacturer that is an XL that is tight. And you thought this stuff was easy? ;)