Friday, June 29, 2007

Hi, I'm Johnny Cash....

When I was pre-pubescent I often (nearly always) was mistaken for my mother when I answered the phone..I hated that it felt like it was proving write all those who called me names about not being masculine enough.

When I got older, I made the mistake (twice) of working for my Dad. people couldn't tell us apart on the phone.

I am a natural mimic. I moved around the county a lot and pick up regional affectations nearly immediately. When I run into to people in the large metro where I live that are from other places I have to watch it that I don't step into their cadences, lest they think I am mocking them. ~sings to the baby sitting next to me trying to grab the laptop...I'm gonna buy you a mockingbird...

Anyway from watching SNL I used to amuse people by doing impressions of impressionists. A really good ear can tell the difference between someone imitating Fernando Lamas and Someone imitating Billy Crystal as Lamas. I was so good it sounded pretty much like Billy Crystal imitating say, 'Nando's cousin.

One impression I do, is dependent on being sick. When I have a sore throat (like today) I can do The Man in Black. SO I'm sitting here in male boxers, an aqua mans long sleave shirt with the sleaves pushed up and painted fingers and toes saying, Hi I'm Johnny Cash. These days I get my high by readin the Bible..~sings I Walk the line....

Maybe I should work on my Harvey Firestein?

2 comments:

Pretty Sissy Dani said...

Sounds like the Johnny Cash number you should practice is "A Boy Named Sue".

Barbara_Talbot said...

OK thats funny..I hadn't even thought of that..weird that it hadn't come to my mind in this context.

Our youngest girl (10 mos) is affectionately known as Boo. I regularly say "Your name is Boo!, How do you Do?"