Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Sometimes, A girl just needs attention....

We were talking today about my inability lately to feel very "Barbara". Not incidentally, I was expressing a lot of misogynistic thoughts, from a rant on a comment someone made about "the good ole boys network (where do I Join?), to the very late letter carrier who is no mailman in any sense of the word. (it was raining today and apparently through rain and sleet does not apply to contract mail carriers - what did you think I was going to say???)

Anyway, Dee said she appreciated how much more in touch I am emotionally as Barbara, but pointed out she's not going to hand me something silky to improve my mood. I told her she's welcome to point out when I am less in touch with my softer side. She hands me a nighty and says, get a good shave tonight, I want to play around with some make-up.

Once the infant was asleep (for the third time and hopefully for the night) she remarked at how easily I become Barbara when Dee expresses interest. That makes some sense. A week or so ago she offered to take the kids off my hands entirely for the evening and suggested I could have some privacy. Interestingly, I wasn't that into the idea. I chalked it up at the time to not being very en femme that whole week. I realize now that Barbara craves acceptance still and doing it alone just isn't fun. Kind of a good thing because en homme I am very much a loner. I should really have lived in another century in a hermitage.

The first picture taken as I went into the closet to retrieve my wig may have been the best. I think I look a little like a Shakespearian actor backstage. I hesitated posting it, but I liked it. One of the best ones was 1/2 out of frame, but it looked so much like one of those cropped avatars to protect ones privacy that I decided to use it for a while. I took a few self portraits with no flash and though her camera for some dumb reason blurs pictures without flash 2 out of 3 times I got a couple of decent ones. We decided my makeup is too light a shade or my tan too dark. We used the red lipstick dot method this time and sans flash looks passable at smoky restaurant levels. Unfortunately our city passed a smoking ban some time ago.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

you do strike me as a Barbara... :)

Dee Talbot said...

You know the answer to the camera problem :) Remember...Canon digital Rebel. 8mp. Think early Christmas....

Anonymous said...

I think you look very pretty and fem.
gail wisher

Barbara_Talbot said...

thanks,

not a chance,

and thanks.

in that order.