Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Glimpses of Barbara in a small town thrift.

We live in a tiny town these days and have to go 30+ miles to the nearest town with for instance a WalMart.

We had to go to town to pick up a starter for my import (2 week process to get it in Ford F250 land), Take care of a leaky valve stem, and get groceries. We had talked about checking out what we understood to be the only thrift store around. We had heard it was small, with poor selection and quality and pricey compared to our beloved Goodwill Dollar Days. None of the above was true. It was EVERYTHING 50 cents. (except ball-gowns, must be an anti-tranny thing..~shrug). The store was small, not a lot of space and the inventory was slightly less than the average CD's closet...but some items the quality was superb.

For example I got a Ralph Lauren jean jacket for work in my manly job. I didn't actually notice the buttons were wrong till I got home, it was Femme!...Grin...

Anyway, I was in Barbara mode meaning I loved shopping and the aim was for Dee, not me, as the selection wasn't likely to yield much for me that I don't have back at our other house. We were being even more discrete than usual about outing me, and only a couple of "Would Barbara like this you think?" queries. This led to a little minor misunderstanding about who the red Asian dress was for. I suggested for her, she wasn't into it, but when she found out all was half a buck, she got it and I thought it was for me. It fits me OK, but it fits her fabulously. She scored several other dresses that fit great. Her shape is very easy to play dress up with now since she fits all the cute clothes again. We talked about how I actually enjoy the shopping more than the actual dress-up it seems as of late. Just as I was her Barbie doll a year ago, she is mine now.

We found a second, larger thrift with higher prices, where I picked up some spectator pumps. (BTW do you know that in Google images for spectator pumps, one of the top 10 results are Barb's legs in a pair of spectators? These are kind of wingtip spectators that I like for the mixed gender aspect.

We also recently have found a brand and size for Dee's brassiere-ly uplifting needs. We went back to the store and bought her a couple of more. She was concerned about the expense since these are pricey.(but oh, so worth it!). I pointed out that I don;t even care for bras in a fetish sense or really to wear in dressing, but I own more than she does!.

Home later she started modeling our purchases (including a formal gown from store two.) She looked great, and I felt the urge to try on a LBD she had found for me. I felt silly in that I am a bit hirsute at the moment and had nothing handy to "tuck" my maleness out of the way. I decided though that it would dishonor my Barbara side to pass on even trying on based on my polarized thinking that if I can't dress right I won't at all. My wife isn't going to laugh at me and has always been supportive. We have been through a rough patch lately and I think part of that is my not being as open as I was in the year past. So I forged ahead. I did feel a little silly but the shortish, velvet, wrap bodice little black dress looked great. No padding, no bra, and it gave me a nice girly shape.

Inspired I went through and tried on all our purchases hers and mine, as well as the few femme items she had brought with her for me when she came out here. Some I hadn't tried on since she brought them, and one I hadn't tried on in well over a year and at least 25 lbs ago.

The forest green dress with the peblem detail from (where else?) Talbot's, fit amazingly well. I had only bought it because it was a nod to my made up (somewhat randomly) name. I got an OMG look from Dee and the treasured comment.."You LOOK like a chick!"

It was just what I needed hairy knees and chest inclusive, to break the ice. I , for now, feel comfortable dressing around Dee again. Nothing changed throughout all this but my mindset.

No comments: